Welcome all readers and writers to my blog. I encourage you to post your comments and hope that you enjoy the site.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I've joined the Writer's Guild!

I was very excited to attend my first meeting at the Madison County Writer's Guild last night. To be honest I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, I kind of had an image of a bunch of Ernest Hemingway's and Charlotte Bronte's. You know.... really professional and no-nonsense!! Boy, was I wrong!! Don't get me wrong, I could tell right away that there is a lot of talent in that group, their short stories and biographies, and dialog, and prose let me know right away that I will be challenged as a writer to keep up with such talent. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they critique each other's work, not so much for content or concept, but more for grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. I did not read anything last night as I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I am excited to get something together to read next meeting. I haven't decided if I should take an excerpt from The Eye of the Storm, or if I should bring something that doesn't have anything to do with my novels...maybe I'll try my hand at poetry...who knows!!
So, I joined the Writer's Guild and I really look forward to expanding my writing abilities through this new challenge!
On a side note.....
The Madison County Writer's Guild is holding their annual Texas Authors Book Sale and Signing at the Truman Kimbro Center on February 26th from 10am to 2pm. If anyone is interested, please join us there. I will have a table there and I look forward to meeting everyone and checking out the other authors that will be there. I will also be having a drawing for a free signed copy of my book and there will be plate lunches available for sale!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Glad you finally have people to challenge you and help you develop more as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty excited about it! I think that I will really learn a lot from these folks!! You should come one night, might be fun!

    ReplyDelete